For adults with an overbite or misaligned teeth, Invisalign treatment offers an aesthetic alternative to chunky, inconvenient braces. “Invisalign” is a thin, clear aligner that fits over one or both sets of your teeth and gradually shifts them into place. As its name implies, Invisalign is nearly invisible and unnoticeable when worn, making it a popular choice in cosmetic dentistry.
Do I qualify for Invisalign?Invisalign is appropriate for nearly any healthy patient looking to achieve a straighter smile. Your dentist may recommend it after an in-office consultation. He or she will map out a treatment plan, in which your aligners are to be worn about 22 hours per day, with aligners being switched every two weeks until they’re in their desired placement. You may be a good candidate for Invisalign aligners if you have the following dental characteristics:
- No serious oral health or dental issues that would prevent Invisalign from working
- Spaces between teeth
- Overbite, underbite, or crossbite
- Overly crowded teeth, or teeth that align in front of or behind other teeth
Benefits of InvisalignIf you follow your dentist’s instructions for the use and care of your aligner, you can reap the benefits of this aligner in just a few weeks. Maintaining good oral hygiene, keeping your aligner in for the appropriate amount of time, and using the cleaning kit provided by your Invisalign dentist are all integral components that provide the best results. Although Invisalign typically costs more than topical braces, the ease and convenience of a removable aligner significantly balance the additional expenses.
- There’s no need to avoid difficult foods: if you had traditional braces as a child, you’ll recall your dentist asking you to stay away from hard foods like carrots, or sticky foods like candy, all of which could damage your metal braces. With Invisalign, you can remove your clear plastic aligner while you eat whatever you want.
- Unlike obstructive metal braces, Invisalign is clear and nearly unnoticeable when worn.
- Invisalign is more comfortable and safer than traditional braces, and is a great option for sports enthusiasts or the accident-prone.
- Because you can remove your clear aligners when you brush your teeth, it’s easier to keep your teeth clean and healthy. Your dentist will provide you with a cleaning kit for your aligner, and the option to remove it at any time can help prevent the buildup of plaque and maintain oral health.